Open 7 days per week from 9am – 4pm from mid April through Mid May AND 7 days per week from 9am - 7pm from mid May through late October
Cape Neddick Lighthouse is a lighthouse in Cape Neddick, York, Maine. In 1874 Congress appropriated $15,000 to build a light station at the "Nubble" and in 1879 construction began. Cape Neddick Light Station was dedicated by the U.S. Lighthouse Service and put into use in 1879. It is still in use today.
Plans had been in the works to build a lighthouse on the site since 1837. The tower is lined with brick and sheathed with cast iron. It stands 41 feet (12 m) tall but the light is 88 feet (27 m) above sea level because of the additional height of the steep rocky islet on which it sits. Unusually, the stanchions of the walkway railing around the lantern room are decorated with 4-inch (100 mm) brass replicas of the lighthouse itself.
The Town of York Maine was, and will continue to be, the permanent guardian for Nubble Lighthouse (Cape Neddick Light Station). And today in 2012, the daily work of maintenance for our Nubble Lighthouse is under the Parks Department who care for our property and our buildings on a daily basis. The United States Coast Guard will continue to maintain the aids to navigation (the Light and the Horn).
(Source: Town of York Parks and Recreation)